Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2, 2012

Everyone wants to be healthy. We all strive to feel good, look good, and to live long happy lives. One important aspect to overall health is nutrition from the food we eat. There are many schools of thought as to what a healthy diet looks like.  In attempting to ascertain this for myself there are some things I have learned that I think will be helpful to others.  This is the goal of my blog, to share my discoveries and to help others wade through the popular ideas, misconceptions, hype, and outright lies being perpetuated by greedy companies in order to sell their products.  I do not wish to seem an alarmist but I will just say that I am regularly astonished at the misinformation constantly bombarding us and how far from the truth many of the claims for a healthy diet actually are.  This misinformation runs the gamut from being somewhat misguided to a full on intentional thwarting of the truth. 



The ideas and information I share here are not all my own discoveries, but rather what I have discovered about what is already known. The recipes are my own.  Like a growing many others, I am convinced that  it is necessary to ignore most, if not all, of what is touted as healthy by the media and by greedy companies.  Yes, the almighty dollar drives the information train in this country.  But you already knew that.  Our food, from availability to marketing, is intricately connected to this dollar train and is susceptible to the same dishonesty and media hype as everything else with a price tag on it. 



Besides misinformation, another real obstacle to providing truly nutritional fare for ourselves and our families is time.  It takes time to shop for and prepare meals.  It takes time know what products are sound, where to find them, and why they are preferable.   As you probably suspected, by eating easily obtainable restaurant and grocery store prepared meals it is nearly impossible to eat a nutritionally adequate diet.  Indeed.  It takes effort to eat well, effort and some basic knowledge.   But it is possible.  I hope to make it easier for you to accomplish this in your home by sharing ideas, recipes and information. 










No comments:

Post a Comment